La bataille du libre
- Genre: documentary
- Production Co.: Temps Noir
- Release date: 2019
- Director: Philippe Borrel
- Runtime: 87min
- Language: french, lined and sub in english
- Country: France
- Soundtrack: Piers Faccini
Poster/Graphic design: Aurélien Quentin/Les Frères Quentin – https://lfq.fr
Nowadays, IT is at the heart of almost all human activity. Has it helped to make us more autonomous or has it transformed us into the passive consumers of a market which has become global? We are not even aware that, at the heart of technology, two rationales are now clashing: since the 80’s, the emancipatory principles of free software movements began to attack the exclusive and “private” ones defending intellectual property rights. Free software, free seeds, free medicines, free knowledge… Focusing on freedom, cooperation and sharing, these movements aim to restore the user’s autonomy and power, leading to a world free of patents, for the benefit of the common good.
About the director
Philippe Borrel was born in 1966. He graduated from the Journalists’ Training Centre (JRI) in 1990. With his “gonzo” approach, he has always chosen to dive into the environment of the issues dealt with in his films, almost all of them made for French public television, for long periods of time. He has written and directed ten documentaries since 2006, including “L’urgence de ralentir” (2014) and “A World Beyond Humans ?” (2012) for Arte or “Un monde sans fous ?” (2010) and “A Jobless World ?” (2017), “La bataille du Libre” (87mn) is the long version – intended for screening and debate – of “Internet ou la révolution du partage” (55mn) broadcast on Arte in May 2019.
The film develops with the interventions of several personalities including among others:
- Kenneth Roelofsen (supplier of agricultural spare parts)
- Richard Stallman (founder of the GNU project and president of the Free Software Foundation)
- Hervé Le Crosnier (specialist in web and digital technologies)
- Pierre-Yves Gosset (General Delegate of Framasoft)
- Kwame Yamgnane (co-founder and director of School 42 in the United States)
- Lucile Vareine (Mozilla Communication Manager)
- Lionel Maurel (member of La Quadrature du Net)
- Xavier Niel (vice-president of the Iliad group, creator of the School 42)
- Vandana Shiva (ecologist, alternative Nobel Prize 1993)
- Joseph E. Stiglitz (Nobel Prize in Economics 2001)
- Olivier Maguet (lawyer, volunteer administrator at Médecins du monde)
- Vidyashankar R. (doctoral student in biomedical genetics, researcher at the Transdisciplinary University)
- Marc Bouché (organic seed multiplier)
- Mick Minchow (farmer)
- Benjamin Coriat (Professor of Economics, members of the Dismayed Economists)
- Marcel Thébault (historical farmer of the Notre-Dame-des-Landes ZAD)
Non-exhaustive list, the complete list here.
To access the pitch of the film in order to know what it is about, and why it was created, it’s this way.
They talk about it …
List of all articles dedicated to the film here. !!! Attention articles available only in French !